Thread: Northern Marinette/Florence County Ride - 1/3

Default Northern Marinette/Florence County Ride - 1/3

Thanks to the generosity of our neighbor who let me borrow his second snowmobile for the day, I was able to join my parents and spend the day riding Northern Marinette and Florence Counties. We dropped in Athelstane, and rode towards Silvercliff, Goodman, and Dunbar before making a loop into Florence County before heading back to Athelstane. We rode a total of 144 miles, and didn’t come upon any wet spots. It was shocking how little traffic there was outside of the immediate Goodman/Dunbar area (which made for a very nice early evening ride back to the truck). A true treat given that it was the first Saturday in January!

Here are the conditions found for each club’s trails ridden:
    Near North: fair to good – a few thin areas which led to unfiled holes, but overall snow covered. There was a noticeable chop at the end of the day.
    Iron Snowshoe: good – Quite a few stones on their portion of the power line trail, but all other areas were quite smooth.
    Dun-Good: very good – Only one rough swamp and a few corner bumps, but overall all trails were well established with limited “early season” conditions. Could noticeably tell when you entered or left their trails!
    Blue Ox: fair to good - A much larger proportion of swamps to be filled in, but also the area with the most snow. Regardless, the trails we were on hadn’t been groomed since early this week, and were never completely smooth, no matter what the underlying surface.

I rode florence and dungood trails today also,(may have passed you on the trail) and was surprised on how little traffic there was,not even half of the sleds i seen in forest county

Don't recall seeing your XF Paul, but we were a group of 3 with a '08 GSX, '02 Viper, and '15 Indy. But yes, we couldn't believe the low traffic - didn't meet more than 10 other snowmobiles before stopping for lunch around noon with 45 miles already on!

Blog Entries

Thanks for the update, Shane!
    I moved your thread to the Marinette forum.

Thread Information